Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Thoughts on Drawing (Finn Leslie)

For as long as I can remember, drawing has been my favorite medium.  But I have to admit that sometimes I do find myself thinking, "Why am I drawing this inanimate object?  What's the point?  Why do I get so much pleasure from doing something so seemingly trivial as a drawing of something that simultaneously exists in the physical world?"  Recently, I was an article by Adam Gopnik, a writer for the New Yorker, and I came across a quote that really resonated with me.  The quote came from Bruce McCall who said, "the point and pleasure in drawing was in getting it right, trapping the truth on paper, demystifying another piece of the world."  This is it -- the answer to all my questions.  The objects around us are like a puzzle to an artist.  And when I can tackle that object and recreate it in a two-dimensional space, in a way that retains the emotions that I'm feeling in the present moment, I feel an overwhelming sense of satisfaction.  I've solved the puzzle.  The moment becomes permanent and portable and emotional -- touched by human time and perception.  This may not be everyone's inspiration for drawing, but it's certainly the driving force for me.  This semester has allowed me to rediscover my love of drawing and the almost therapeutic powers it holds.  I look forward to drawing a lot more in the near future, in the hopes that I can continue to learn and improve.


Source:
Gopnik, Adam. 2000. Wayne Thiebaud: A Paintings Retrospective.  

No comments:

Post a Comment